Video by James Corner, Field Operations
- Legacy communities and crossroads of critical regional roads, rail, transit.
- Mouth of Leona and Arroyo Viejo Creeks
- Collects from 3.5 square mile Lion Creek Watershed in Oakland Hills
- Enters San Francisco Estuary via Oakland Estuary and San Leandro Bay, surrounded by Oakland and Alameda
- Site of Oakland Coliseum and Oracle Arena, development and gentrification pressure.
O A K L A N D : D A M O N S L O U G H Communities Confront Water and Gentrification in the Coliseum Zone By Isaac Pearlman Damon Slough, a 25-foot wide canal of sluggish brown water skirting the Oakland Coliseum’s northern parking lot, is easy to overlook. The...read more
Top photo: Isaac Pearlman
Bottom photo: Julie Robertson
Other Great Stories
Newsfeed: West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project
- You won’t find the names of these two boys, killed in Israel’s bombing of Gaza on Saturday, in @halbfinger’s @nytimes report. They are Amir al-Nimra and Louay Kuhail. But to @nytimes their lives don’t count. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/world/middleeast/2-killed-in-gaza-4-wounded-in-israel-in-most-intense-fighting-since-2014-war.html …pic.twitter.com/3jitKA6Rvr
- Tonight the Arvin City Council approved changes to the city’s oil and gas ordinance! They voted to protect the health, safety, public welfare, physical environment and natural resources of the City of Arvin! Si se puede! #WeAreArvin #NotABan #ArvinOilAndGas #PeopleOverProfitspic.twitter.com/ARtoEtm5fQ
- Port jobs shrank by 80% with the introduction of containerized cargo. If we can save the remaining jobs and make them safer, while improving efficiency and reducing pollution, that could be a good thing for all of us. Bit it’s a lot of “ifs”. https://twitter.com/infoweststate/status/1013441229659369472 …